Certification of Fitness Application Instructions
To become eligible for Admission to the Practice of Law in Georgia, an individual must receive Certification of Fitness by the Board to Determine Fitness of Bar Applicants. The first step in this process is to submit to the Office of Bar Admissions a complete Application for Certification of Fitness to Practice Law (Fitness Application). Your fitness to practice law will be investigated by an Application Analyst based on the answers you provide and additional facts discovered in the course of the investigation. Upon completion of the fitness investigation, your Fitness Application will be presented to the Board to Determine Fitness for a determination of your eligibility to practice law.
IMPORTANT! Applicants who are taking the Bar Examination are also required to submit a Bar Examination Application. This process registers you for a particular exam. Only applicants who have been issued and currently hold a valid Certification of Fitness are eligible to Register and submit a Bar Examination Application.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING YOUR FITNESS APPLICATION
Prior to filing the Fitness Application, you should carefully read the following:
- Policy Statements
- Making the Mark - Character and Fitness for Admission to the Bar
- Frequently Asked Questions
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
FILING YOUR FITNESS APPLICATION
- Most correspondence regarding Certification of Fitness and the Bar Examination, and any other time-sensitive correspondence will be communicated via the User Home Page. It is your responsibility to check this page frequently.
- The e mail address you provide is the address which the Office of Bar Admissions will use to notify you that a message or other correspondence has been sent to your User Home Page. It may also be used for other correspondence purposes.
- Any mailed correspondence will be sent to the address you provide.
- The daytime telephone number you provide is the number at which the Office of Bar Admissions will contact you with any questions not sent via the User Home Page.
If your name or contact information (e mail, physical address, phone number) changes, you should immediately update your online profile information.
- All questions must be answered completely.
- You may not answer questions by incorporation, e.g., ". . .see Florida application.”
- Do not use abbreviations except for standard abbreviations such as 2-letter state codes.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
- You are REQUIRED to provide your Social Security number that is issued by the United States Social Security Administration.
- You must indicate your full legal name (first, middle & last).
- All records will be retained and certification(s) issued in your full name.
You must provide a copy of your birth certificate.
- Applicants who are not U. S. citizens or do not have Permanent Resident status in the U. S. must print, complete, and submit the NonImmigrant Affidavit and required documentation along with the Fitness Application.
- Of particular interest to the Fitness Board is whether applicants have dealt honestly and responsibly with their creditors. Specific criteria regarding the handling of financial obligations is addressed in Admission to the Bar-Character and Fitness Considerations. The deadline for the submission of the required documentation is May 15 for applicants for the July Bar examination and December 15 for applicants for the February examination. These deadlines set by the Board are firm and will not be extended.
- Absolute and complete candor is required. Failure to be completely candid may result in denial of certification. If there is concern whether your situation falls within the scope of a particular question, it is best to assume it does.
- You are required to file narratives for all criminal and DUI offenses.
- You are required to submit arresting officers’ reports and certified court documents for all criminal and DUI offenses.
DRIVING RECORDS/MOTOR VEHICLE REPORTS
For each jurisdiction, including Georgia, in which you have a held a drivers license during the last 12 months, you must submit an Official Driving Record. Your driving record(s) must:
- Be obtained directly from the Department of Drivers Services;
(CANNOT BE OBTAINED FROM A THIRD PARTY)
- Include your name;
- Include records for the maximum number of years the state provides;
- Be dated not earlier than 30 days prior to the date it is submitted.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED
Based on the answers you provide on your application, you may be required to submit additional documentation. As you answer each question, the system will prompt you if additional documentation is required.
Upon successful submission of your application, you should click the blue View Your Application Checklist button on your Home Page and print a copy for your records. The Additional Documentation Required will be listed at the bottom of your checklist.
These Additional Documents must be received in the office of Bar Admissions not later than 30 days from the date you Successfully submit your Fitness Application.
- These items can be mailed to the Office of Bar Admissions; however, you are encouraged to scan and upload the documents via the Upload New Document link on your Home Page.
NOTE: The Upload New Document link will only be available AFTER you have submitted your application. Scanned and uploaded documents must be in PDF format only. Ensure readability before submission.
Any applicant applying for Certification of Fitness in Georgia is required to submit to a fingerprint background check.
You must submit your fingerprints to this office as soon as possible but not later than 30 days from the date you submit your Fitness Application.
Click here for information on the Fingerprint Requirement.
FILING THE FITNESS APPLICATION
In order for your Fitness Application to be considered timely filed, ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS must be completed BY THE FILING DEADLINE:
1. Your online application must be submitted successfully.
- All answers must be complete (no critical errors) and your application must be successfully submitted online.
2. Your filing fee(s) must be paid.
- Credit Card Payment must be submitted online by midnight.
- Money Order, payable to Office of Bar Admissions, must be received in in the Office of Bar Admissions by 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: Uploading this document to your HOME PAGE does not constitute timely filing.
Warning! Fitness Applications submitted to the Office of Bar Admissions without submission of the filing fee by the stated deadline will NOT be accepted.
Fitness Applications for Admission on Motion DO NOT have a specific deadline; however, your Motion Fitness Application is not considered timely filed until you have submitted your petition fitness application and fees.